Hurricane season started on June 1st. That means it's a good time to do a review of your preparedness for a storm.
Having a plan and being ready for a hurricane is vital. Here are a few easy and effective steps to take that may save you from costly damage to your property and better protect you and your family.
- Cut back tree limbs from your property and look for any cracks or dead limbs that may break easily in a storm. Look for any overhanging trees that may become more problematic. Proper tree maintenance can help prevent a limb from falling on your home or an automobile.
- It's a good idea to have your roof inspected annually to see if there are any potential problem areas, such as shingles that are lifting up or weak areas. It's always a good idea to strengthen your roof by reinforcing the roof-to-wall connections or strengthening the roof deck attachment.
- Create a first-aid kit and a survival kit with items such as a flashlight, portable radio, extra batteries and non-perishable foods.
- Stock up on bottled water.
- In the event of a storm, secure all outside items, such as hanging plants, gardening equipment, potted plants and pool accessories.
- Have your garage door inspected by a licensed professional to see if it needs to be reinforced.
- Review your shutters to make sure all of the parts and pieces are in order and accounted for.
- Clear all gutters and drains of debris and review all gutters and downspouts to make sure they're draining away from the foundation.
- Consider installing hurricane-proof windows and doors.
- Review your home insurance policy with your agent. Make sure that you're carrying hurricane coverage and that you understand the deductible.
Insurance is there to protect you after an event occurs but what you do beforehand can sometimes matter the most.
Looking for a new policy? We've got you covered. Call Bruening Insurance Agency at (800) 293-0131 for a free Florida home insurance quote.