Is theft increasing in your area? This is a common problem for many business owners. However, there are many ways to increase property security. What can you do to secure your business' items?
Extra security can help to reduce commercial property insurance costs. Theft is not something most companies can ignore. It is also very hard to prevent. Yet, balancing business insurance with security can help to keep it manageable.
Where Are Your Risks?
Has your business location suffered theft, vandalism, or other security risks? If so, it may be time to address these.
Theft might occur at any location. However, it is important to understand what is happening at your location. Speak to your Bruening Insurance agent about recent claims. If you do not have claims, turn to other records. Even check local police reports.
Where are the losses occurring? What is missing? Addressing the underlying cause of crime is important. To do so, consider your current risks:
- Does theft happen within your business? For example, individuals may steal from your retail store.
- Does the theft happen during operating hours or after?
- Does the theft occur by employees or by third parties?
- How does the theft occur? Consider things like how easy it is to place items in pockets.
- Is there a risk associated with the theft of customer property?
Once you assess the actual risks on your property, you can begin to consider ways to reduce them. Every business will need to customize solutions to meet their needs.
Here are some ways to do so inexpensively:
- Invest in security systems. Today, security monitors and cameras are very accessible and affordable. A non-monitored system can be very affordable for most companies. Many provide real-time access to locations and sensors to indicate an intrusion.
- Choose more built-in protection. Moving valuable items behind security glass can help. If theft is an ongoing problem with your location, it may be wise to move high risk items out of the way.
- Invest in a security professional. This may be necessary in some areas. A monitored security system may help. However, having a person on the premises is often the most expensive, ye most effective, method.
Work with your Bruening Insurance agent. Discuss what types of theft risks occur at your business. Then, take steps to eradicate them.
Having coverage through your commercial property insurance is necessary. It can help defray costs. Yet, having security in place can be the most effective option for preventing theft in the first place.