Unlike marine insurance, which is designed to protect goods during water-based transportation, inland marine insurance is geared toward safeguarding products, supplies and machinery when they are being moved across land, such as by truck or rail, or when they are temporarily stored offsite. Common reasons for losses under this type of insurance are vehicular accidents and cargo theft.
Inland marine insurance may provide coverage for the following:
- Business property that will be moved between locations
- Property in transit
- Trade show exhibits
- Special event equipment
- Fine art or collectibles
Your agent can help you determine whether an inland marine insurance policy may cover the property you transport.
Who Needs Inland Marine Insurance?
Inland marine insurance may be appropriate if your company transports goods or machinery. This coverage becomes crucial when shipping items of significant worth, as these are frequently not included in standard property insurance plans.
For some operations, standard business insurance might be sufficient. Typically, this insurance focuses on assets located at a designated site, although protection might also extend to gear and tools that employees carry to local work locations. Your agent can help you understand your current insurance coverage to learn whether inland marine insurance may be a good fit.
Your agent may also recommend customizing your business insurance coverage with the following specialized coverage:
- Bailee’s customer coverage may offer security for customer belongings entrusted to your business, such as in a storage facility or mechanics garage.
- Builder’s risk insurance may provide coverage for buildings and construction supplies during the course of new builds or remodeling tasks.
- Exhibition and fine art coverage helps ensure the safety of prized possessions when showcased, in movement or loaned out.
- Installation floater may shield assets from when they are loaded for transport until their final installation or usage.
- Motor truck cargo coverage may secure customer merchandise during your enterprise’s transportation and delivery phases.
Consulting with an insurance expert can help determine if inland marine insurance fits your business. Should you decide to purchase inland marine insurance, the provider might offer strategies to assess and mitigate risks and ways to manage any potential losses.
Contact Bruening Insurance Agency in Weston and Juniper, Florida, for an inland marine insurance quote.
This blog is intended for informational and educational use only. It is not exhaustive and should not be construed as legal advice. Please contact your insurance professional for further information.