Perhaps it's always been your dream to be a stay-at-home parent. But, maybe you find yourself wanting or needing to start a business. You might need the money. You might want to keep up your skills. You might want to venture into something new. But whatever it the reason for diving into entrepreneurship, it needs to be compatible with raising children.
Here are five jobs that you can do as a stay at home parent:
- Transcription Work - For those skilled at typing with great accuracy, doing transcription work is a great way to earn money. You can do it while the kids nap or are playing nearby. Jobs are usually paid by the audio minute, so the speed is key. You can start out with your computer, but as you get more skilled and take more jobs, buying a foot pedal might help.
- Etsy Seller - Hand-knit baby socks, quilt patterns, wall hangings made from old pallets. These are a few of the things that you can sell on Etsy. Whatever your handicraft is, you can find a way to turn it into cash by creating a seller account. Find a way to differentiate yourself from other sellers and create eye-catching listings. Then, make the products from the comfort of your home, when it's convenient for you.
- Virtual Assistant - If you're great at cleaning up, keeping email inboxes organized or updating blogs, you can get paid for it. Find a few skills that you want to offer and reach out to others with online and brick and mortar businesses.
- Resume Writer - Use your skills at a wordsmith to help others land their dream jobs. Top resume writers can command upwards of $75 an hour. That's not too bad for a job that you do at night after the kids are in bed. All you need to start is your computer and an internet connection.
- Consultant - A business idea for many is to spring off of previous work experience. You can become a consultant for other businesses, sharing your knowledge and expertise.
With all these, you do need to consider adding a BOP, or business owner's policy insurance. Even though your liability risk is often low, you want to be insured in every situation. Bruening Insurance can help you obtain coverage. Contact us to get started!
Also, a basic website and social media presence are must-haves. They don't cost much. But when done well, they will help increase your profits.